ASCE Colorado Section Needs Your Support
All Proceeds Will Benefit High School Clubs
ASCE Colorado Section Student Outreach Committee is looking for your donations:
Bronze Level Sponsor: $100
Silver Level Sponsor: $250
Gold Level Sponsor: $500
* Sponsors will be exposed to over 1,500 members through our newsletters, club brochures, and banners.
* Gold Level sponsors will be recognized on our website.
Contact: Roger Torres, PE, MASCE, email@example.com
The Colorado Section of American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE Colorado Section) is in the process of organizing numerous Civil Engineering Clubs (CECs) in the Denver-Metro Area high schools. These clubs are managed and operated by volunteers. The purpose of the CECs is to guide the next generation into civil engineering by providing a place for high school students to meet engineer mentors and explore civil engineering through activities, lessons, and field trips. As the nation’s oldest and largest engineering society, ASCE has the experience in organizing these clubs nationwide.
Our main task is to train the students on the design process methodology with hands on simplified civil engineering projects that emphasize team work. The clubs will also assist the future engineers understand the basic concepts of engineering and how to apply mathematics to engineering. The guidance provided by the CECs will be at a high school level approved by the school faculty. We hope to provide approximately 1.5 hours of activities per week at each club location, and the allocated work time will be modified according to the policies of the respective high school.
The recruitment of the new students began during the annual student career fair conducted for 8th graders on October 22, 2014. The next recruitment event will be tailored towards the 12th graders in February of 2015. The volunteers that assist us with these events are from United States Bureau of Reclamation, University of Colorado at Boulder and Auraria campuses, Colorado School of Mines, and numerous volunteers from local engineering firms.
We are looking for volunteers and partners with broad experience with various aspects of civil engineering to help us to achieve our goals. If you are interested in helping us, please consider one of following options:
· Financial support to cover the expenses of these activities that will include: Participation in career fairs, design process applications, construction of physical models reproducing simplified engineering problems, weekly meetings with lectures, and lab and field trips;
· Provide technical personnel to our future CEC events to present lectures and inform high school students about the type of projects your company is involved with on a day to day basis;
· Provide summer job opportunities to students of the CECs that are planning to go to an engineering college;
· Donations of portable lab models, such as the popular groundwater model showing seepage and wells acting in a stratified foundation; and
· Photographs of engineering achievements accomplished by your company.
If you choose financial support, please select the amount that you would like to donate: $100 (Bronze Level), $250.00 (Silver Level), and $500 (Gold Level). Please note that ASCE Colorado Section will ensure that all sponsors will be exposed in our newsletters (sent monthly to over 1,500 registered engineers in Colorado), CEC brochures, CEC banners, and also at the annual CEC student competitions. Gold Level sponsors will also be recognized on ASCE Colorado Section website.
We hope to hear from you, and thank you for your kind attention.
Roger L. Torres PE, M. ASCE
Student Outreach Committee Chair